Do you ever wish you had a like minded local offering you advice on the best places to shop nutritiously, eat clean and get fit in their home city?
One of the perks of being a flight attendant is having the opportunity to meet people from all over the world but more importantly, being able to build on that relationship, with the option to visit them in person on a fairly frequent basis. Over the years I have had the pleasure to have quite a few soul collisions in various necks of the wood and would like to share with you some of the peeps that have left a stamp in my friend passport. Each week I will interview a different amigo to contribute their fave ideas and recommendations on travelling and how get the most from their city in a twenty four hour stay.
I often find myself repeating the same thing over in each city and revisiting my favourite haunts. I am hoping that some fresh insight will inspire us globalistas to take full advantage of the fortune we have, to visit so many amazing cities across the globe.
Friend Stamp – Keri Badach
Keri and I met through our studies at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, initially on Skype. When I went to New York for the IIN Live conference, we officially met at a lovely cocktail party, hosted at the Hudson Hotel. It was great fun, but one weekend is just not enough time to spend with a wonderful person like Keri!
Which gorgeous part of the globe is lucky enough to have you as a current resident?
• The Big Apple, New York City, NY
Hit me with your elevator speech.
• My name is Keri Badach and I just love discovering and bringing out the best in others. I love meeting new people and listening to their unique stories and I am inspired by helping others to live their best lives, mind, body, and soul.
Let loose in New York City for 24 hours only, what would be on your list of must do and see?
• 24 hours is just not enough time! I would probably stay along the West Side Highway and
(1) have a morning run around the tip of Manhattan,
(2) have a picnic and nap outside near Battery Park City,
(3) meet some friends for a drink at the Standard Biergarten,
(4) walk along the High Line,
(5) take a trapeze flying class at Chelsea Piers, and
(6) then take a relaxing night time sailboat trip down the Hudson.
When travelling, what staple items are in your carry-on luggage?
• I bring an empty water bottle to fill once I pass through security, a good lip moisturizer, a few books (one fiction and one non-fiction), some fruit or cut-up veggies for snacking, and a travel blanket or pashmina to make sure I sleep well.
What are your favourite tips for staying on track with regards to healthy eating and exercise whilst away from your homely creature comforts and routine?
• I bring some portable workout items along for my journey…a jump rope, resistance bands, some workout DVDs that I can play on my lap-top or I print out some great bodyweight workouts. I also use an early morning run to get to know my new city and plan my day’s itinerary.
Where are your favourite places to shop in NYC for healthy, organic wholefoods and supplements?
• I live on the Upper West Side and go to Whole Foods Market for many of my healthy staples. But I also like The Health Nuts and Gary Null’s Uptown Whole Foods for the harder to find treasures.
Your choice of New York’s number one healthy dining hotspot?
• In New York, we are lucky to have a ton of really wonderful healthy eateries…you can literally find a fresh and healthy salad bar on almost every street corner. One of my favorite places though is Souen, which is an organic, macrobiotic eatery with 3 locations near Union Square, in the East Village, and in SoHo. My favorite thing to order there is their macrobiotic sushi made with brown rice, a mixture of unique veggies, ripe avocado and in a portion size that makes this hungry girl very happy!
Is there any fitness class or place to enjoy training outdoors that you would consider unique to New York City?
• In New York, we have it all. We have everything from pole dancing classes, to aerial yoga, to military-style boot camps. For outdoor fun, there is the Brooklyn Bridge Boot Camp. I have never done it myself, but hear it is pretty amazing!
What’s your favourite on the go, healthy snack choice?
• Simple stuff…fruits, veggies and even sometimes greek yogurt.
Can’t live without natural beauty product and where can it be sourced?
• I love rose oil for fragrance and I buy it from Aveda.
Keri, bridesmaid at her twin sisters wedding :-)
Thank you Keri! I hope to see you in New York again soon! Xx