One of the cons of being a citizen of the world, is that you aren’t always in the right place at the right time, to share and celebrate special occasions with your loved ones.
Last year I made Nic (my boyfriend) a very indulgent cherry ripe cheesecake, filled with all the nasties. Although it tasted pretty good, I said to myself that this year around I would hopefully have all the equipment (which I now do) to make a guilt free version out of all natural, raw ingredients.
I was unable to source the perfect ingredients for the choc, cherry, coconut flavour and knew he would be just as satisfied with the “Jaffa” birthday edition instead.
Fast forward seven days, post birthday and finally I have the opportunity to share the love and present this little number to you and to Nic. Although I made this on the eve of his birthday last week (in the hope I wouldn’t be used on my standby), it keeps really well in the freezer. All I needed to do was defrost it for an hour, before we reunited.
I hope you like it just as much as we did!
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 1 tbsp fresh shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp raw coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2-3 hrs
- 1/3 cup organic, raw, unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp natural alcohol free orange flavor
- pinch Himalayan salt
To make the crust:
- Place the almonds, coconut and cacao powder in your blender or food processor until well combined.
- Add the coconut nectar and mix by hand.
- Grease a small heart shaped spring form cake tin with coconut oil.
- Press the crust into the bottom of the pan and set aside in the freezer.
To make the filling:
- Place all of the filling ingredients into the blender (I use a Blendtec) and blend until rich and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the tin.
- Cover the tin with aluminum foil and place in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
- Before serving, allow the cake to defrost for an hour and then place in the fridge.
- To serve – remove cake from tin, cut into pieces and serve with shaved raw vegan choc orange chocolate, orange zest and birthday candles.
**NB** because of the coconut oil, this cheesecake will melt if left out in the heat.
Serves 2-4 birthday guests